For the Hot Dog:
- 10 Bratwurst sausages
- 10 hot dog bun
- 4 white onions, sliced
- 20g Butter
For the Relish
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 400g tomatoes, diced
- 300g SunBlush® tomatoes, diced
- 200ml red wine vinegar
- 200g sugar
- 30g capers in vinegar, rinsed
- 50g baby gherkins, chopped
Hot Dog With SunBlush® Tomato Relish
This is a great recipe if you’re hosting a BBQ party, hot dogs are really easy to prepare and cook and always deliver a satisfying flavour. The SunBlush relish lifts this humble meal to dizzy new heights!
Prep time: 30 (minutes)
Cook time: 30 (minutes)
Total time: 60 (minutes)
- In a frying pan fry the onion, garlic and chilli until soft, taking care not to colour them.
- Add the fresh tomatoes to the pan and mix well.
- Next add the vinegar and sugar and bring to the boil. Simmer for 30 minutes and season.
- The relish should be the consistency of jam set aside and allow to cool.
- Stir in the capers and gherkins and the SunBlush®. Season to taste and chill until needed.
- Place the sliced onions into a heavy bottomed pan and slowly cook in a little butter and allow the onions to caramelise a little, keep on a very low heat until needed.
- Place the hot dogs into simmering water for 5 minutes or until the core temperature is piping hot.
- Remove the hot dogs from the water and drain any excess liquid then add to a BBQ or griddle pan to char a little.
- Serve in large white buns, with the caramelised onions and the SunBlush® tomato relish.